Friday, April 02, 2004

What is it about the place you love?

Was reading Nina's Confessions when it suddenly occurred to me that everyone I know is living away from the city they love. And all of them talk about their hometowns as the best places in the world. I think maybe its just the memories we keep from a particular place you know- like the time that auto-walla almost kidnapped me in Delhi... oh no! I was meant to block that memory out! I adore Delhi for all the awesome shopping, for the yummy food you can almost anywhere you go (to me it seems like good food is everywhere in Delhi), and for the crazy punjabis. I love every bit. From the traveller to the city I hear complaints like the weather sucks (who cares, we live in airconditioned comfort right?), everyone tries to rip you off (builds character I think), people are too loud (aggressiveness is a GOOD thing I say) and swearing seems to be a part of life (ah, the language.. I miss it).

A very dear friend of mine who has lived most of her life in London, one always hears of the awesome clubs, the smashingly handsome men and many cupsa tea.. and yet another friend who has recently moved there complains about the grey weather, the prices of everything and the tube. Fido loves Bombay simply for the pace of life and how the city is always awake. I know people who cant stand the lives they live in the city with distances that should ideally be across cities (not within a city), crowds to make you want to curl up by yourself and a mad pace of life.

Bangalore in itself is a lovely city but for the fact that nobody (and I mean not even a single person) knows how to trim hair here. They have fancy salons and yet every frigging time I have been to a different one recommended by some Bangalorean or the other, I have had to get it fixed the very next day. I may have to carry a picture of myself in Delhi next time I go to get my hair done and ask them to try to do my hair the way it looks in the picture. Thats not it- nobody (and I mean not even a single person) knows how to make iced tea. Its hot here dammit and that should be when everyone is having iced tea- but not the Bangalorean... they have iced tea that tastes either like lemonade or sugar syrup... Oh and did I mention that nobody (and I mean not even a single person) has any clue of how much time anything will take.. their guesstimates drive me batty!! Rant...

Theres just something about home.. and I cant put my finger on it...

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com