Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Lost

I lost my mobile phone yesterday and did not panic when it happened. I did want to panic. I wanted to sink to my knees and cry. But somehow I could not. I have made losing phones a habit. This time I remember speaking to someone a minute before reaching home and finding that the phone was missing. Much hunting and running around led to no results.

I then waited for F to return and find it. Thats what he does for me. I usually panic and cant see things that lie just in front of me and he can find them for me. It is usually tricky to remain calm around a hysterical woman, but he manages. A typical conversation between the two of us sounds like this:

N (after looking frantically, EVERYWHERE): Honey!!! I cant find my spectacles!! Help... I am going to die, I know it!
F (calmly - almost whispering): No you wont die love. The spectacles are perched carefully on your nose.

OR

N (after looking frantically, EVERYWHERE): Honey!!! I cant find my dupatta!! Help... I am going to die, I know it!
F (calmly - almost whispering): *Looks behind me on the bed and calmly picks up "lost" dupatta* Looks like you wont be dying anytime soon honey...

Its sweet I know and I have come to depend on his "finding" abilities quite a bit. As a result, when the phone was lost and "unreachable" I figured I probably cant see it and its probably lying somewhere around me only. It was a classic case of denial. F was put on the job of finding my phone as soon as he returned from work. None of the "how-was-your-day?" or "want-some-water?" conversations for him yesterday. A torch was handed to the man and he was instructed to "search and retrieve". He searched and searched and then calmly returned to tell me that my phone was indeed stolen.

I plan to stick to my sasta-sunder(NOT)-aur-tikau phone now which somehow never manages to get lost (for very obvious reasons - its ugly!!).

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com