Sunday, July 25, 2004

Dolly was fat!

It is official. I am officially lacking a social life as I knew it. On a saturday night I went for an amateurish musical and topped it off with pizza (without beer even!!). So its that time again - the time when I rip apart some part of Bangalore. Bangaloreans reading this are requested not to take it too personally. Nobody I knew was in the play I saw yesterday (and hopefully none of the actors etc were known to readers of this blog either). 

Last night, for lack of anything better to do, I stepped out for a musical. Upon reaching the theatre an hour ahead of time, I realised tickets were only available for 3 more morons. The only way to get 2 more people to go with me was by threatening to go by myself. Turns out, I managed to sucker my colleague and her boyfriend to come along with me for the musical theatrical version of Hello Dolly. You remember that dont you? The one with Barbara Streisand.. the one where she steps down those stairs while everyone sings along (but what else) "hello dolly.. well hello dolleee"

So here's the difference between the staging of musicals in Delhi and in Bangalore. Delhi musicals are slick as hell and everyone looks sexy! Its like going to the movies.. and wanting to be like the actors. In Bangalore, however, they believe more in making you glad to be part of the audience. Dolly was FAT!! She had a beautiful voice, I must add in her defence - but a FAT Dolly?? Whoever thought of that!! The backstage helpers were using torches to change the sets. So you could watch them as they stumbled across the stage in semi-darkness. Made you want to jump up and help them.

The costumes lacked lusture. For the title song, Dolly sported part of a jhadoo (read broom) with golden glitters in her hair! I think they might have rented the costumes from the local tailor or something.. The dancers managed to bounce about the place with significant effort and in quite a few cases were not even remotely coordinated. On the whole though - it was fun because one of the actors was super, all their voices were wonderful.. and I had something to do!! Can you tell I cant wait to be outta here??

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com