Friday, May 07, 2004

Celebrity Status

I am a celebrity in Delhi. Just today, my face has been plastered on the front page of a daily city supplement of a large national daily. Unfortunately after hours of searching on the net (at company expense), I have given up on trying to find the picture on the net. Bummer- millions of NRIs who probably access the site for news from India will no longer get to have a look at my smashing face. However, millions in Delhi would have noticed my face fleetingly before turning to the back page which usually has pictures of jennifer lopez and britney spears wearing as little as possible in the usual "who-can-stand-naked-pretending-to-wear-something-that-just-about-passess-off-as-body-paint-and-still-be-featured-in-a-regular-daily-as-opposed-to-playboy" contest.

I have to now slowly inch that picture to the social page of Delhi (page 3). Page 3 is the place to be seen usually... preferably with a glass of wine in hand and a film star standing somewhere in the vicinity. The caption for such a shot would read like so - "Nidhi and Insert-Cool-Filmstar-Name catching up at the gala opening of insert-name-of-hip-new-nightclub". Very original stuff that.

We will ignore the fact that the article was about ridiculously lavish secondary schools in Delhi with individual laptops for students. The mention of laptops has been made briefly in one sentence somewhere in the middle. It appears that the ditzes had to find a picture of people with laptops who could probably pass of secondary school students. My picture from b-school is the one they decided to pick since it had a laptop (and hey- "23 is not too young for secondary school", they thought). Not so suprisingly, most people in Delhi who have informed me of my newfound celebrity status seem to have missed the article completely (for some very obvious reasons, the least of which is that the article writers in said city supplement suck).

I hope I dont get mobbed when I land at Delhi airport now... I will never be the same again...

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com