Monday, August 23, 2004

Binny and Bubbly

Those are not cartoon characters, in case you were wondering. These are sophisticated (err well almost) ladies in the heart of south Delhi who design jewellery for the typically enormously wealthy, and yet sometimes quite ugly, ladies of South Delhi. Whats surprising is that they keep a gazillion pieces of jewellery in what looks like an ordinary godrej cupboard. I say that it looks ordinary because it is obviously protected with some super-cool safety procedures, because if that was not the case I fear that we are being rather bold with entrusting our jewellery with Binny Auntyji. As she waved jewellery worth probably millions of rupees in my face, I wondered what we would do if a man with a gun walked in right then. Binny Auntyji may have screamed enough to make the man run, but if hewas resilient enough, chances are high that he would have been able to take trays full of diamonds and run as fast as his little legs would carry him. Enough speculation for the time being though - given that she has managed to keep jewellery safe from such gun-toting individuals, we have no reason to suspect this might be a real scenario (right).

My mother and I spent some quality time with Binnyji today. Here is a sweet lady who knows the first names of each and every person who walks through her doors. Not only that, she will carefully enquire about their twins, or children's exams, their dogs health and grandmother's arthritis problems. This is truly a quality I admire. Indeed, I often try to emulate this quality with disastrous results. More often than not, the person who I end up experimenting my memory skills, will usually not have children, or have a grandma who is quite hale and hearty with no signs of arthritis or have several cats but no dog. Such is my luck.

For those of you wondering why there has been no post lately, I have left Bangalore for good and am vacationing in Delhi for a few days before heading to the most energetic city in India - Mumbai. So while I wait for a hectic life in Mumbai to begin, at present I am stuffing my face with hot chocolate fudges from Nirula's and butter chicken from various other places. Of course, all this has been thanks to my company which decided to hold a "capability conference" read "turd-like training" in Delhi over the weekend. The weekend, it seems, is not yours if you work with my company. When you sign that dotted line, you sell yourself to weekends of conversation filled with words like "competence", "strategy" or "competent strategy" and .. yawn. Yes, I can tell you cant wait to hear more about this one. But hang on dearies... what will I write in my next post if I write it all here? So watch this space. I'll be bach (you know what I mean!!).

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com