Tuesday, May 11, 2004

My good deed for the.. err.. day..

In order to rid myself of the guilt of living the way I do while millions go hungry in my country itself, once in a while I do something nice. Today I donated blood. I am hoping that this will somehow absolve me of my responsibility to a society that has been able to educate me and pay me well enough so that my main concerns are which diet to try next, what furniture would look in my house and what to do with the extra room that lies empty there... Some may call it evolution.. I call it decadence (sometimes I feel like I am extremely poor though, I must admit.. this isnt one of those days). Very often I wonder what its like to be on the streets or in the middle of war. You know, when your greatest concerns are where the next meal may be coming from, or will you live through the next day. And suddenly I feel so fortunate for having the troubles that I do. Oddly, they seem very small suddenly.

Of course, the very next day it feels like my world is collapsing around me when my boss peeks into my cubicle and finds the internet window open for blogging constantly, or just simply when the coffee machine runs out of coffee at work (that can be excruciatingly painful you know).

Instead of giving my time to the world, I decide to give money, or blood. I am fortunate enough to be able to give blood. There were people who did not have a choice about it- some had high-blood pressure, otehrs were underweight, or whatever else that eliminates you from donating even if you want to. Although while I was at B-School I did get involved in various "social" activities and since I have started pursuing greater wealth at my new job I really have not had the chance to do much. But like they say "Life's all about choices"... am I choosing not to do anything much? I hope not...

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com