Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Incredible !ndia

I write this while I wait for my flight back to Bombay. Given how busy my social life is (NOT), I felt this might be the only time I will get at a stretch to write at peace. It also looks very cool and gives the impression that I could very well travel business class had it not been for the Santa Claus outfit I am wearing (bright red capris topped with a white and red shirt and red slippers for the unusually coordinated look).

The ‘inspiration’ for the topic line came from the big hoarding at the airport. Oddly, the picture on the board suggested NOTHING about India except a scantily clad Indian woman in various yogic postures with the hills behind her. Incredible, my arse! Whoever thought up the ad was obviously a very horny man and could not even think of one thing that could be uniquely India for the tourism advert except for highly un-distinct looking hills in the background of the sexy chick doing yoga. I almost missed those highly generic hills…

I have been in Delhi for 6 days now and think I have material enough for several hundred posts. It’s really crazy how many wide-ranging experiences this city has to offer ranging from awe to horror. Shopping for the impending (I am kidding Fido) wedding has been exhausting and so much fun. Stories from that will follow but right now I leave you with a hilarious bit about the Enclave where I live.

Just under our apartment is a little notice that screams – FLOWERS ARE PRETTY. DO NOT PLUCK THEM. Strangely, there are no flowers to be seen around the notice!! Is that a general admonishment to those who pluck flowers? I am not quite sure.. perhaps there were flowers around at some point of time there. All I saw was overgrown grass surrounded by fern. Maybe the fern was pretty for the person who put up the notice and he/she thought it was a mutant flower of some sort. Indeed theories about the reason for such a psychotic notice can be many (several of them I have posted here already).

More on the idiosyncrasies of Delhi later..

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com