Thursday, October 28, 2004

Chandni Chowk – Part Ek

Writing about our escapades (there is no better word to describe our adventures there) at Chandni Chowk is sure to take up a few posts. I could write it all in one post and lose my entire readership at one go. Instead, I have decided to prolong the pain and let you read a few posts before you decide you have had enough. Yes I know, rather thoughtful of me. I thought so too.

So in order to get the most perfect lehnga for what (I hope) will be one of the most perfect days of my life, we decided to embark on an epic (no really) journey to Chandni Chowk in Delhi. This is the old part of Delhi, the part we New Delhi people tend to forget about unless absolutely important – like getting to University campus, or buying wedding lehngas. Re gave a whole history in her own post, which to be honest I was amazed at. Not the history, dodo, the fact that she knew all that about my li’l ol’ home town. A darling of a friend of mine volunteered to come along for the whole adventure of it, without my having to beg her. This could be attributed to the fact that she is from London and unaware of the implications of going into the old part of any city in India.

Turns out we had landed there on the worst day possible. A tiny street in the name of a road was crowded with pedestrians, cycles, cycle rickshaws, more pedestrians, cars, tempos, cows, motor-cycles and for added effect – some more pedestrians. It was taking too long to get to the appropriate gali, so my courageous (and sometimes quite silly) mother got off the car without informing us of the plan of action thereafter.

To be continued…

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com